Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I've heard so much about you!


As I was brushing my teeth this morning
{{pause. I felt like it was worth noting that most mornings, the time spent brushing my teeth is used to determine my wardrobe for the day. This routine developed out of the realization that I was wasting time standing in front of the sink, occupying one hand only, while my other hand and more importantly, my conscious thinking, were available. So, I go into the habit of taking my teeth brushing into the bedroom and standing in front of my closet, pulling out shirts and pants and switching combinations at least three times before achieving satisfaction. If by chance I have already thought about what to wear, I move to the next step of accessories! By combining these to daily necessities, I have not only saved time, but improved my dental hygiene. I'm sure some days my teeth are brushed for 9 minutes straight!}}
Anyway, I strayed from my routine and stood in front of the sink, and because my brain is quite sporadic and random, the phrase "I've heard so much about you" invited itself in.

It's a very common phrase, yet I wonder if we ever stop to think of the implications it carries. Imagine the many situations in which it would be used. Of course, it is most commonly said after an introduction of a new acquaintance. A few examples:

Just imagine introducing someone you know and love (friend, spouse, sig other) and after they meet the person listed, your friend says "Oh! I've heard so much about you!". Hah! Imagine the vast array of emotional responses that could be running through their head!
  • the boss
  • the ex-girlfriend/boyfriend
  • the neighbor
  • the co-carpooler
  • the parents of the kids you babysit/sat for
  • the professor/teacher
  • the teammate
  • the doctor/dentist

Basically, any relationship you have where you are not so close to the person that they know without a doubt what you think of them, things could get awkward. And awkward things make me laugh. So think about that next time you tell someone that you've heard a lot about them ;)

PS. You should definitely wink too. It adds to the awkward factor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We like feedback!